Monday, February 23, 2015

A snippet of the last few moths......a snippet


-Measured our pizza with a ruler on Friday and measured waffles on Saturday.  Weighed rolls on Sunday, weighed a banana Sunday night, weighed a potato on Tuesday.  Counted out blueberries on Wednesday morning, counted out pretzels Wednesday for snack, measured out popcorn with a cup on Wednesday night.  So goes the meal prep, every day, every meal.

-The other day I was driving by myself in the car and was extremely hungry.  I had not taken the time to eat breakfast.  I looked over and saw the bag of Pepperidge Farm cookies sitting in the passenger seat.  I immediately scarfed down three.  Then I almost threw up and started to cry as I realized what I had just done.  Just the other night Sweets was asking for one and I had to tell her no because there were too many carbs in one to eat without taking insulin and it wasn't a good time for me to be giving her any more insulin that day.  I had just eatin' three of them.  I took advantage of the fact that my pancreas worked, and without me thinking of it, ate three of something my daughter had begged and begged for.  I felt, and still, feel awful.  I didn't need three cookies, they weren't good for me anyway, and here I sat stuffing my face with them.  I felt so guilty for taking advantage of something my daughter fights for every day.

-Sweets got sick the day after Christmas and it seems like, whenever she gets sick enough to be down for the day with a fever, it messes up her levels.  Not for just the day, but for good. We were also out of town.  I waited it out for a week and they never went back to how they were with the ratio's and doses she was on.  I tried to move her carb ratio up, but that did not work.  So I checked her Ketons each day and finally called the endo because that's what I do when I consistently see levels in the 200's for every check.  What?  Endo's aren't suppose to go out of town for a week!!  Luckily she had a Ped's appointment in a couple of days.

-  Before our Ped's app. we went out of town again.  I have never had to check Sweet's Ketons so much as I have in this week.  Alas, I forgot her Keton strips and she measured over 300 when traveling to our destination.  We just about turned around and went home.  We did decide though, that diabetes was not going to rule our lives, so we stopped at a Walgreens and then at a Walmart to find Keton strips.  Who knew they were so popular?  Walgreens was out and I picked up the last box at Walmart.

-Sweet's numbers were creeping and creeping up week by week, so a call to the endo fixed that.  We have now split her Lantus into two seperate doses.  6 units in the morning and 6 units at night.  Amazing!!!  That fixed everything.

- Today Sweets mentioned to me that no one ever.....ever invites her over to play.  She told me she thinks it's because she has diabetes now and no one wants to bother with having her over.  I cried that day.

- Big day for Sweets.  She got her favorite Lofthouse cookie for a Valentine's Day treat in her classroom.  I never do this......but I gave her 3 units and let her eat it all.  See how happy she is?

-Ugh.....insurance is not covering her short term insulin (Novalog) anymore and they are making us switch to Humalog.  Our endo talked to a pharma rep and she got us a sample of a half unit dosing pen and a vile of Humalog to go with it.  Not many patients use the humapen that comes in half unit doses.  I am happy that we got a free pen and a sample.  It's a very pretty pen and comes with it's own leather hard bound case.  It looks a bit like something a pair of eye glasses would come in.  The pen is a pretty emerald green and sweets has decorated it with stickers.

- Steady numbers, averages looking good and are going down.  Sweets has an appointment with the lab this week on Thursday.  They are taking blood and checking her thyroid because she is not gaining weight (she only weighs 67 lbs) and there are other sypmtoms as well.  Also they are checking for Chron's Disease.  I have not told her she is going in for testing.  I am just sure she will be crying.......(I will be too on the inside, but confident for her on the outside).  Blood draws have always made me afraid.



2 comments:

  1. Your life sounds exhausting. I pounded three cookies at 2 am last night. Feeling guilty now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this picture of Sarah!! She has such a strong spirit!

    ReplyDelete