Tuesday, March 17, 2015

T1D fears and night checks

Last night we had to try and try to tell Sarah that she was ok to go to sleep.  I felt so sad to think that my daughter was just laying in bed trying not to fall asleep because she was afraid she was going to die that night.  She has to put her complete trust in us and the only reason she allowed herself to sleep is because of that.   I can't imagine being just 11 years old and having to live with that fear.  It makes me want to punch something.
There is a possibility that an unknown
  low blood sugar could make someone with Type 1 Diabetes slip into a coma and die in their sleep, but there are also precautions to take to make sure this doesn't happen and it is rare that someone is neglectful enough to let it.  Still, the possibility is scary enough that I do check her BG in the middle of every night.  Not every T1D parent does, I don't necessarily need to either because she is never low because we know how to prevent it.  Still, the nagging possibility propels me to her room in the middle of each night.

2 comments:

  1. our thoughts love and prayers are with you both. I wish I could take it all away and make it better. love grandma and mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize how long it has been since I've checked your blog! I suck! I swear I just checked it last month. Life has been a little thrown of this last while because of home school. I can't even imagine how exhausted you are Steph. I wish that I could say just the right thing to make you feel better. I haven't been a very good support to you, and I will do better, but please know that I love you and am here for you.

    ReplyDelete