Monday, August 11, 2014

The Ultimate Challenge

 I totally admit that we eat at buffets.  It is a place where all three picky kiddos can be satisfied.  Load 'em up, roll them out.  We never gave much thought to going to a buffet until the other night when Sweets mentioned that she wanted to go, but thought that it was probably an impossibility considering the amount of food one can consume at an alarming rate in those places and the fact that most people just go load up their plates giving no thought to what they are actually eating before they pile it on.
Challenge accepted.
We know what the Golden Corral has to offer and Sweets already knew what she would most likely get.  So with our handy Calorie King book and the amount of knowledge I now hold in my head, I felt pretty confident (ok I was dying, but Sweets couldn't know that) I could count the carbs in her meal successfully.  I told her she had to reign it in to about 45 carbs because she had been in a higher B.S. range than I appreciate all day.  
A piece of pizza, breaded shrimp, salad, and a small ice cream with a chocolate covered strawberry is what she chose as her menu.  I crossed my fingers, gave her some insulin in the parking lot, and we headed in for our fate.
Turns out I am a pretty darn good carb counter!!!  Two hours later and she had only risen 3 measly points!

There is a downfall for knowing how many carbs are in most foods you eat because, now your meals start looking like this.   I also know how many carbs that should be in a meal you eat and it's waaayyy lower than you think.  So the whole time I am eating at the buffet and then watching what other are consuming I was just about to lose it.  All I could think to myself was, what all this food must be doing to my poor pancreas.  Ha Ha.  Food isn't so appetizing anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment