Saturday, November 1, 2014

How does Halloween work?

I read a little piece of advice in a magazine article on holidays with Type 1 while I was in the hospital with Sweets.  It advised, for Halloween, on making the other parts of the holiday such as: pumpkin carving, costume making, party games, and getting together with friends the focus and fun instead of the trick or treating.  We tried to help sweets have the costume she wanted, made a whole evening dedicated to carving pumpkins and roasting seeds(which are very high in protien and low in carbs), attended the church Halloween dinner and party, and her school grade tried to make the class Halloween party about movies and making slime instead of the treats.  Of course we let her go trick or treating.  How can you tell them they cannot.  But, then you get this whole big plastic pumpkin full of sugar crap.  Knowing all about carbs and sugars and what they do to your body makes you look at that much candy in a new light.  There is no way she even can have more than 1 piece of it a day. Some days it's not any.   1 small candy bar can mean a half unit more of insulin with her meal and if she's in a higher range already to begin with, well, that doesn't work for me.  I do my best to let her have some though and she is very understanding.  Good girl.
Candy makes the blood too sweet for this vampire girl.
I offered to buy it from her, we tired to convince her to give it away, etc.  She's hanging on to it though and I don't blame her.  As she said "I worked hard for all this candy"!

2 comments:

  1. I hope this picture goes viral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this picture!! It is awesome!! Sorry that Halloween was so tricky for you!! All that candy really is awful for our bodies, but how do you get kids to understand that. Sarah probably does but my kids don't. You're a really great mom Steph!!

    ReplyDelete