Tuesday, November 4, 2014

It's just a pizza party

or it used to be just a pizza party.  Now it's...........

She has a pizza party at 1:00 and I can't give her the normal lunch at noon with insulin and then turn around 45 minutes later and give her more insulin for pizza. It's dangerous to stack insulin.  So, I take baby sister to the sitters while I go pick up Sweets so she can hang with me for an hour at noon while the rest of her class is eating their lunch.  I know it's been very long since she has had breakfast and that she won't last an extra hour without eating or we risk low blood sugar.  I can't give her much though, or it will raise her blood sugar too much, so I choose to give her a couple sips of juice and some peanuts to hold her over.
We drive to the convenient store and get her a diet soda then head back to the school to wait for the bell to ring.  We find that the teacher is going to allow each student 1 piece of pizza.  That's usually no big deal, but this is Sweet's lunch and she's starving.  One piece of pizza isn't going to cut it.  So I head to the office where she has yogurt tubes in the fridge. I count the carbs for her pizza and yogurt while she checks her Blood Sugar (which happens to be in a very good range thank you very much).  We go to the restroom to take the insulin because Sweets still hasn't gotten over the fact that it's ok for someone to see her take her shots.  I leave her to have her pizza party without mom hanging around.
I drive back to the sitters and grab the little sister.  It's 1:15 by now and at 3 o clock (two hours after she eats) I have to go back to the school to check Sweet's BG to make sure she isn't dropping.
I told her Home Health nurse not to bother coming in for her today because the schedule was all messed up and consequently I got to nurse her today. No big deal...........it's just a pizza party
................(for a normal person).


1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing mom Steph!! Sorry this is such a challenge for you. Hope you know we love you and pray for you!!

    ReplyDelete