Monday, July 28, 2014

A Special Milestone

The day after we got home from the hospital, I called our swim teacher and told her we'd have to change our lessons until the very last session in the Summer.  Sweets was not strong enough to participate in lessons (which were scheduled for the next week), and I was so frazzled that I couldn't even begin to figure out how to handle an activity like that.  To me, at that point and for a few weeks after, for some reason taking her swimming seemed like a really hard thing.  A scary thing to have her in the water with that much activity.  We have taken her a few times now, as a family, to the pool.  I know how to work the schedule and the amount of exercise to carbs she needs.

 Today was a special day.
It was a milestone we passed.  A marker of success.  I can't believe that it has arrived.
Sweets had her first swim lesson for this summer and she rocked.......I rocked.  It may seem like and insignificant thing to those who don't quite understand diabetes, but it is a balancing act.  Schedules had to be adjusted all day just to be able to get that blood sugar check right at the right time before her lessons.  Meals had to be prepared and eaten on time and sugar levels had to be in a safe range and maintained for her to exercise like that.  I am so proud of us.  Sweets and I.......a team.
We will be doing this for the next two weeks.  I am not a bit afraid anymore.

1 comment:

  1. So Proud of you two! Did you find that it adjusted her sugar level by a lot to do swim lessons? I hope she loves lessons, and that you find a few minutes to read a book and enjoy the shade! :)

    ReplyDelete