Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Normal Summer Day

I can't believe how good today was.  Sweets behavior was nop-notch, the kid's had friends running in and out and around all day, and Husband was happier.  Meal times were smooth, I got the morning Lantus and Novalog done without a psychological response from myself, and I felt like I really had things under control.  I didn't fear carb counting (until the cupcake saga at dinner time), I had meals squared away, B.S. levels were down all day and Sweet's could snack which helps her mood immensely.
We spent the whole evening home playing and watching t.v..  It seemed like a normal summer day.  The kids were dirty and tired by the time bedtime rolled around.  The diabetes routine is not taking over our days anymore.  It's just a part of them now.  I have learned to work around it for the most part.  Enough to survive anyway.

Sweets allowed both her friends to watch her take her blood and get her insulin shots.  She is not ashamed or afraid of what she has.  She has been trying to read her own levels, and to learn to count her carbs some.  She won't try to prick her own finger or give herself a shot yet, but that will come I think with some time.  I cannot take her shopping because she turns over anything that catches her eye to look at the carb to serving ratio and our trips take twice as long.  It's cute though, she's trying to learn.



This evening, during a church activity, I went to check on her and she informed me (quite proudly I might add) that she ate 1 Hershey Kiss and 1 Hershey Hug, but that it wasn't going to kill her and she could ride her bike afterward to knock down the levels.  Whaaaattt?  I couldn't believe that for one she would do that and two, that she could rationalize like that.  We didn't get angry with her this time because we never want her to be afraid to tell us she ate something she shouldn't, but explained very seriously that she cannot do things like that and the complications it could cause if she kept doing that.
She understood.  She just wanted to be normal like her friends that were eating them.  Poor girl.

Went to bed worrying about low blood sugar.......holy crap is it 2:00 a.m. already.......oh my gosh its 84, never been that low at night......can't fall back to sleep until I giver her a sip of juice....even though 84 is not too low.
Now I am up.

No comments:

Post a Comment