Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day 4

Sweets Dad was very admit that she get released in time for her to go to school for an hour to say goodby to her friends.  It was the last day of school for the year and she needed closure and her classmates needed to see that she was o.k.  I am super glad he had the foresight in that because in the midst of things, I really didn't see the importance of it.  Sweets had recieved a get well card from every person in her class.  It was very touching to see her go through each one and smile.
The time of release was here and I couldn't beleive we were going home!!  I felt like I was bringing home a new baby.  Excited to get home, but terrified I wouldn't be able to take care of it.   What now, can we do this?  What if I mess up?  I don't know if I can emotionally handle this responsibility.  Sweet's was also nervous to leave. I encouraged her time and time again (with yeat another fake smile and positive words) that Mom and Dad were all over it and we could take care of her just as well as the hospital could.  Really, I was on the verge of yet another break down, but there was no way she was going to know that.  Not one little bit.
Before we left, Sweet's made her bed.  Some personal closure I think.  Then we were out the door.
  
We made it to school and the first person we saw, believe it or not, was Gracie, the little girl in her class with diabetes.  I'd never seen another child so happy that someone else had T1D.  She was very excited not to be the only one anymore.  She jumped on Sweets and gave her a big hug and immediatly asked if Sweets could spend the night.  Ha ha.  Uhhhh...no.
Somehow I mangaed to make it to Fred Myer for some flowers for her teacher.  
 A picture with another special and very silly teacher.

After we made it home, our neighbor brought over the yummiest casserole for our family.  It was quite a circus during the meal as we were trying to get her B.S., carbs counted, and insulin given.  I think it took us a half hour just to get to the point we could eat and the food was nearly cold.  It seems funny now, but then it was extrememly stressful.  Grandma left for home and then, we were all alone. Sweet's best friend from down the street, Paja, came over and they played like it was a normal evening.
  A bazillion thanks to Grandma for all her help.  Things were so much better because she was there to help with the younger sisters.  She cleaned, watered the lawn, took care of the girls and the kitty so Sweet's father and I could be a strong team together and to learn to take care of her. A special thanks to all the gifts, cards, phone calls, texts, and emails from those who were concered about Sweets and who love our family.  I will never doubt the love of neighbors and friends again.  We had meals brought in for 4 days and lots of support from those around us.
I didn't cry tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment