Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 7

"Yes, I think we can make it through three hours of church" was our decision.  I know that we have made it to the park, to the store, on bike rides and walks, and kayaking.  I am pretty sure we can pack up and do church.  Except, I have never left her alone yet.  She will have the opportunity to go to class for an hour without me.  I am sure she will be happy to be with all her friends again.  I, on the other hand, walked by her classroom every 15 minutes, sneaking a look in, and making sure she was o.k.  At one point I heard her  say "what if you are in bad need of medication"?  I don't know what they were discussing, but it did make me realize that she knew she was in trouble if she didn't have her insulin and was actually thinking about it.  Bro. Johnston was handing out mini toosie rolls like always.  I told her to take one that she could eat it since she hadn't eatin in three hours and dinner was very soon.  Her very first piece of candy!   I found out later one tiny tootsie has 4-5 carbs.

After church, we quickly sat down to a wonderful slow cooked pork, mashed potatoes and gravy, a big roll with butter and jam, and green beans.  This is one of Sweet's favorite meals, and the carbs were quickly adding up.  I wanted to hold her back, but husband wanted her to enjoy a meal for once.  A Sunday dinner that she could be satisfied with.  A whopping 64 carbs later, she was so happy:)  Two hours later, she went from B.S.~107 to B.S.~ 247 and we knew that would never be happening again.  We called the Phycisian and she said there was a max point to the carbs the insulin would handle and we went over it.  Oh, well, live and learn.  What did I just say?  Oh well?  Things must be getting better around here.

This dot to dot picture is becoming more and more clear every day.  I can actually understand how things work.  There is lots more to learn, but I don't feel so inadequate and am sure I can handle things by myself tomorrow as my wonderful partner in all of this is returning to work.

We had a wonderful visit from our neighbors with a gift for Sweets today.  People have been so nice to stop by to see how she is.  Then her cousins came to spend the night and they had such a good time just being girls.  Sweet's needed some cousin time.  It was good to be able to have them over.  We all went to the park.  They got so dirty I threw them all in the tub for a good feet scrubbing before bed.
It was a good sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment