Friday, June 6, 2014

Day 5

I can't believe how stressful meals have become!  Just figuring out what to make for the family is hard enough, then I have to figure the carbs, measure out portions, pray I got it right and then dial up the units of insulin for it.  It is so wonderful to have my husband here doing this together.  He has been giving a lot of the shots because it is still very hard for me to do.  By the time we get ready to eat, the kids have been sitting at the table for 10 minutes and the food almost needs to be reheated.
Today Sweets Grandparents came for the day.  That was hard because I really like to be a good hostess and have the house clean and meals prepared, etc.  That was not happening and things were chaotic.  We had just tested Sweet's blood and it was 414 2 hours after breakfast.  I was crazy trying to contact a health professional as her Physician couldn't be reached right that second.  I was on the floor crying in the bedroom not knowing what to do.  I felt bad all this was going on right as the Grandparents were arriving.  But, that doesn't matter because what does, is that Sweet's got to visit with them and feel of their love.  Eventually we got a hold of her Physician and things went o.k. .  We had a nice walk and visit to the park.  Sweets was in a very bad mood that day.  She didn't want to go or do anything.  She was grumpy and it was hard for me to see her like that.  I know she is still very tired from her ordeal and time in the hospital.  I have to be very patient with her.
  Every day there is some sort of adjustment to her Lantus or carb to insulin ratio.  We are using a sliding scale to make up for her high B.S. before meals.  We still haven't got things right and her levels are still in the mid 200's most of the time.
We are talking to her Physician every morning and every night before bed.  She is such a great person.  She calls us from home and at night we call her at her house.  She allows us to call her any time during the day in her office as well.  She is extremely giving and caring and genuinely wants to help people instead of doing it for the money.
When we started learning about diabetes and people were throwing all sorts of information at us, it was like they were giving us a dot to dot with a million numbers.  Nothing made sense.  Once you start connecting the dots though, it all sort of comes together and you can sort of see the picture.  It's starting to come together for us now and although I can't quite put it all together, I can see that a picture is forming.  I am beginning to feel some sort of peace.
Tonight I sleep peacefully, until 2:00a.m. when I check her blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment