Saturday, June 21, 2014

Type 1 Diabetes Won't Keep Me From.....

We decided to try Five Guys last night.  It was easier because it's a chain and the carb counts are in our Calorie King.  Trying to calculate the fries though was about to make my mind burst.  The whole process can come to a complete halt if I can't make a measurement right in my head.  I had no idea what 2 oz. of fries look like, although I can tell you how many tator tots equal 2 oz.  Ha ha.  Anyway, this is what our table looks like when we eat out.  Ponies, calculators, notebooks, carb counters, and oh........the hamburger of course!
After all was counted I about fell over because it was over 60 carbs and over 5 units of insulin.  I never give Sweets that much.  She did let me check her B.S. at the table.....but wanted to go to the bathroom for her insulin shot (maybe just a bit controlling hu?).  Well, Just giver her the dang shot already, and pray it will work out ok.  We'll see in two hours.
Throughout the meal I had to keep encouraging her to finish all her food.  
"I am sorry honey.  You have to stuff it all in.  I already gave you insulin  for the biggest hamburger of your life.  You really have no choice.  We'll roll you out of here when we're done". 
 Five Guys has a bulletin board with 3x5 cards to color on for display.  Sweets colored her picture to put up.  A tear came to my eye when she showed me what she had drawn.
"Type 1 Diabetes won't keep me from coming here"
A small feat I am sure.....to just go out to eat.  But when you have Type 1 to deal with, everything is harder.  Just one more experience under our belt to build up our confidence.
I was feeling very good about ourselves as a parent team.  Sweets diabetes won't stop her from doing things because we won't let it.  We will be confident and we will try.  
I always want her to use the words, "Type 1 Diabetes won't keep me from......."

4 comments:

  1. That is awesome Steph. I think one of the most important things (as well as one of the hardest) is trying not to let things like this overrun your life. Trying to live as normal a life as you can under the circumstances is key. You guys rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask Sarah if she will take me to Five Guys. It is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete